Monday, October 31, 2011

Elizabeth's in the Bywater

As today is the last day in October, I thought it would be a good idea to finally share our adventure at Elizabeth's for my birthday.  Arielle came with me and my family.  We were all excited about the praline bacon I've been dying to try for over a year.  I loved the restaurant as soon as we walked in.  It was so cute, everything mismatched but it all went together.

Brunch was very good there.  It took a while for us to actually get a waitress.  We had already decided what we wanted, changed our minds, changed them again, and started staring at each other wondering if the waitstaff forgot we existed.

Once we finally got a waitress, everything was great. I got a coffee mug that said something about a tiggerific grandpa...so cute!


My dad ordered the Eggs Elizabeth, which consisted of honey ham, poached eggs, hollandaise sauce, all over french bread with a side of grits.  This dish was by far the best dish we had on the table.  As one of their signature dishes, I'm quite pleased it was actually amazing!  I don't know where they get their French bread, but it was so good.  

Mom had the Eggs Florentine-oysters over cream spinach on a bed of fried potatoes.  This was our least favorite dish.  The cream spinach had no flavor and made the fried oysters soggy.  My mom said she loved the light batter on the oysters, but the dish left much to be desired.

My Grandmother(Honey) had one of the specials, Softshell crab with eggs and potatoes.  I usually don't like softshell crab because it comes out soggy and gross when restaurants fry it.  But this softshell crab was crisp and beautiful.  It was huge too!  They also know what salt is.  I swear, I hate it when restaurants don't use salt.  It doesn't taste the same if salt isn't cooked with the dish.  Elizabeth's batter was delightfully seasoned.  Thank GOD!

Arielle and I couldn't decide if we wanted the Duck Waffles or the Crab Cakes special.  So she went with the Duck Waffles and I took the Crab Cakes.  The Duck Waffles were good in theory, duck and sweet potato hash over a cornbread waffle.  It was yummy after we slathered it with butter.  The potato and duck hash was too dry especially with the waffle.  Both tasted quite good, but needed butter to be "more better."

My crab cakes were wonderful.  I usually don't like crab cakes, but I was feeling adventurous, so I gave them a try.  BEST CRAB CAKES I'VE EVER HAD!!!  They weren't over ridden with bread crumbs to make them cheaper, they were well seasoned (yes, they know what salt is!), and there were chunks of beautiful white crab meat and trinity.  All with poached eggs on top...YUM!


The Praline bacon: Whomever invented this is a genius.  How can we make bacon even more unhealthy?  We cover it with pralines!  Diabetics and heart patients watch out...here comes PRALINE BACON...dun...dun...dun!  It tasted like maple syrup on bacon, but 10x better than plain old maple on bacon.  I will attempt to recreate this at home...soon!  They also had really good fried chicken livers with pepper jelly.  YUM!  I'm pretty sure if I make Elizabeth's a regular of mine, I'll need to have Louisiana Heart Hospital's number on speed dial.  And I'm pretty sure those biscuits went straight to my hips...



  WE LOVE ELIZABETH'S in the Bywater!

No comments:

Post a Comment