Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Outside the normal realm...

I don't usually praise Slidell.  In fact, I hate that I had to move from NOLA back to this dreadfully boring and dry city that is incapable of supporting good restaurants.  People here think Chick-fil-A is fine dining.  Tragic to say the least.  Don't get me wrong, Slidell is host to some really good breakfast joints like LA Pines and Good Eats.  And it has the best donuts on the planet at Georges.  However, I was pleasantly surprised late this morning when David took me to Tacos & Beer in Old Town.  IT WAS AMAZING!!!  Yes, that's right, I just described a Slidell culinary institution as AMAZING!  It was better than amazing, words cannot describe how shockingly good this Slidell restaurant is. 

We ordered 2 pulled pork tacos, 2 chorizo tacos, and a plate of nachos with marinated pork.  Hurray for pork!  Sorry non-pork eaters, this stuff was awesome!  The pulled pork was so tender and so juicy...succulent pieces of yummy, dripping pork on soft corn tortillas with fresh white onion and cilantro on top.  Then the chorizo.  This stuff has been popping up everywhere here recently, and it is soon becoming one of my favorite things.  The chorizo tacos were packed with flavor.  They had this wonderful bite, not too spicy but just the right kick.  The moment I bit into that wondrous garlic-y, tangy, onion-y, cilantro packed piece of heaven, fireworks went off in my mouth.  Sorry Philippe's off Calhoun, Tacos and Beer leaves you in the dust.  The nachos were great, and so was the one condiment-hot sauce.  The marinated pork was well seasoned.  Obviously the chorizo is the number one, hot item here.  And, of course, I had to have a Tecate with my tacos!  This time I had it with a lime.  Quite refreshing...

Supposedly they serve tongue there too.  I plan to sample this next time I go, which will be soon!  I do hope that this tiny food paradise in Slidell doesn't follow the usual good restaurant trend here.  Keep up the food quality and the service!  Our waitress Sonja or Sonya or Sonia(I didn't check the spelling) was awesome! You can't beat the prices, flavor, and service in this God-send of an establishment here in Slidell.

Pics!!!
 Chorizo and pulled pork tacos

 marinated pork nachos
 really good hot sauce...

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good since I'm going through my Mexican phase!!!

    ReplyDelete